Benowyc was once a thriving city of over 10,000 people, known for its bustling trade and the three powerful mage’s guilds that called the city home. This all ended over a thousand years ago, when some form of magical catastrophe befell the city.
The nature of this disaster is not known to this day, records from the time simply indicate that one day all was fine, and the next all traffic from the city simply ceased. Eventually a trickle of individuals, believed to be refugees from Benowyc, began to emerge from the surrounding woodlands, all of them had been driven into gibbering insanity.
Several local communities sent expeditions to see if it would be possible to render aid, all but a few of those brave souls failed to return. Those that did spoke of turning back long before reaching the city, of seeing eye-searing flashes of light, in colors impossible to describe, of terrifying cries heard in the distance, and earth-shaking rumbles caused by unseen titans.
After that, no one attempted to return. The road leading to Benowyc fell into disrepair and was eventually reclaimed by the ravenous forest. Likewise, the city itself faded from living memory, save for whispered warnings to those who might learning things best left unknown.
The Plants of Benowyc
- Bright Green Coniferous Vine: Hallucinations
- Rust Colored Barnacles: Exploding
- Bright Red, Spined Ferns: Striking tendrils; Rattles when antagonized
- Hyena Palms: Paralytic sap, Carnivorous
Encounters of the Wizards’ Circle
- Benowyc: Cursed City of Random Magic
- Wall: Strange plants; An opening smashed in wall
- Front Gate: Partially merged guardian golem
- North Side Gate: Exploding barnacles; Hyena Palm; A treasury of some kind
- South Side Gate: Floating spring; Giant coniferous vine; Slavers’ camp & the Warrior on the Wall